Subject: Re: tough filesystem stains
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Michael C. Richardson <mcr@sandelman.ottawa.on.ca>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 08/17/1998 12:15:30
    Tim> On 13-Aug-98 Andrew Brown spoke unto us all: # >I don't think this
    Tim> is a new problem; as I understand it, this is why # >the -n option
    Tim> exists for reboot.  # # actually...my sunos 4.1.3 man page for
    Tim> reboot says: # # -n Avoid the sync(1).  It can be used if a disk or
    Tim> the # processor is on fire.  # # although...if "a disk or the
    Tim> processor" were on fire, i doubt you'd # actually calmly (madly?)
    Tim> type "reboot".

    Tim> No doubt.. I'd be headed for the wall socket with a quickness.. ;)
    Tim> Perhaps they are just trying to say "only in extreme circumstances"
    Tim> But then.. who would type "man reboot" at a time like that?

  Well, if the disk was in an external case, and the system had an internal
UPS and a soft on/off switch (most notebooks now!), then the only way to
get the system to shut off should be to use "halt" and of course you wouldn't
want to wait to sync to the disk, since that box was going to take awhile
to respond :-)

   :!mcr!:            |  Network and security consulting/contract programming
   Michael Richardson |         Firewalls, TCP/IP and Unix administration
 Personal: mcr@sandelman.ottawa.on.ca. PGP key available.
 Corporate: sales@sandelman.ottawa.on.ca.
	ON HUMILITY: To err is human, to moo bovine.