Subject: Re: tough filesystem stains
To: Andrew Brown <twofsonet@graffiti.com>
From: Tim Rightnour <root@garbled.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 08/17/1998 08:57:42
On 13-Aug-98 Andrew Brown spoke unto us all:
# >I don't  think this is a new problem; as I understand it, this is why
# >the -n option exists for reboot.
#
#  actually...my sunos 4.1.3 man page for reboot says:
#
#       -n   Avoid the sync(1).  It can be used if  a  disk  or  the
#            processor is on fire.
#
#  although...if "a disk or the processor" were on fire, i doubt you'd
#  actually calmly (madly?) type "reboot".

No doubt.. I'd be headed for the wall socket with a quickness.. ;)  Perhaps
they are just trying to say "only in extreme circumstances"  But then.. who
would type "man reboot" at a time like that?

Incidentally.. the old netbsd 0.8, 0.9 had the same man page.. I was quite
dissapointed to see that line go.. it's allways been a classic in my opinion..
I miss it..

---
Tim Rightnour    -  root@garbled.net
http://www.zynetwc.com/~garbled/garbled.html