Subject: RE: Ethernet Device Driver
To: Hany Hamza <hany@walnut.maple.nf.net>
From: Tim Rightnour <root@garbled.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 08/10/1998 17:00:47
On 10-Aug-98 Hany Hamza spoke unto us all:
#  We are looking for an enthernet device driver which can run on the NetBSD
#  almost independent of the kernel and the OS in general. The reason for
#  that is to try achieve maximum performance for data communications and
#  latency.
#
#  Does anyone have or know where to get the source code for such device
#  driver. Source code will be much appreciated.

Yeah.. look around the net for something called "U-Net"  I've been planning a
port to netbsd one of these days.. but I need to buy a pair of 21140 cards to
do it with...  Its usually used in paralell application programming, and
achieves low latency by having a very small header, low overhead, and not
having to use the kernel's tcp stack stuff..

It does not use TCP.. if thats what you want.. you would have to write a tcp
stack for it.. and that might end up slower than the in-kernel one..

---
Tim Rightnour    -  root@garbled.net
http://www.zynetwc.com/~garbled/garbled.html