Subject: Re: Ethernet Device Driver
To: Hany Hamza <hany@walnut.maple.nf.net>
From: David Brownlee <abs@anim.dreamworks.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 08/10/1998 16:31:16
	Ethernet drivers are written to control specific ethernet
	chipsets. For example the 'le' driver supports the am7990
	ethernet chip. The more sophisticated the chipset, the more
	functions it can carry out independently from the kernel.

	Different NetBSD ports support different ethernet hardware,
	so the list of valid drivers will vary from port to port.

	In order to sensibly answer your question we will need to know:

		+ In which port (or ports) are you interested.
		+ Do you have a specific bus attachment or type of
		  card in mind.

	Also it would help if you could indicate what type of operation
	are you performing:

		- routing between two networks
		- servicing clients.
		- implementing distributed processing
		- etc

		David/absolute

    "Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative." - Oscar Wilde