Subject: boot problems after new kernel
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Jan B. Koum <jkb@best.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 08/08/1998 19:09:17
	Hello again,

	Below is the mail I never sent since I fixed it myself. I just was
	missing the following line:

options         COMPAT_386BSD_MBRPART # recognize old partition ID

	So, now it boots, however, it freezes when I get to the point:
	configuring network interfaces: ep0
	At that moment I can only reboot. :(

	In /etc/rc.conf I have:

auto_ifconfig=NO                                # config all interfaces
net_interfaces="ep0"                            # used only if above is NO
#ifconfig_ep0="inet 199.51.61.22 netmask 255.255.255.0"

	And /etc/ifconfig.ep0:

twentytwo $ cat /etc/ifconfig.ep0
199.51.61.22 netmask 0xffff0000 media 10baseT/UTP

	Any clues welcome. Thanks,

-- Yan

[old mail I never sent]
========

	Hello all,

	Having some problems booting after I did SUP to -current and
rebuilt the kernel. Now I get the following error:

> wd0: no disk label
> boot device: wd0
> root on wd0a dumps on wd0b
> no file system for wd0 (dev 0x0)
> cannon mount root, error = 79

	Basically I am booting -current kernel on 1.3.2-RELEASE. Let me
run "make build" and see if that fixes things. Any other ideas? Below is
"grep -v ^#" of my kernel. Thanks again,

-- Yan

twentytwo $ cd /usr/src/sys/arch/i386/conf
twentytwo $ grep -v ^# TWENTYTWO

include "arch/i386/conf/std.i386"

maxusers        64              # estimated number of users
options         I586_CPU
options         INSECURE        # disable kernel security levels
options         RTC_OFFSET=0    # hardware clock is this many mins. west
options         COMPAT_13       # NetBSD 1.3,
file-system     FFS             # UFS
file-system     KERNFS          # /kern
file-system     PROCFS          # /proc
options         INET            # IP + ICMP + TCP + UDP
options         PCIVERBOSE      # verbose PCI device autoconfig messages
config          netbsd  root on ? type ?

mainbus0 at root

pci*    at mainbus? bus ?
pci*    at pchb? bus ?
pci*    at ppb? bus ?
pchb*   at pci? dev ? function ?        # PCI-Host bridges
pcib*   at pci? dev ? function ?        # PCI-ISA bridges
ppb*    at pci? dev ? function ?        # PCI-PCI bridges
puc*    at pci? dev ? function ?        # PCI "universal" comm. cards
isa*    at mainbus?
isa*    at pcib?
isapnp0 at isa?
npx0    at isa? port 0xf0 irq 13        # x86 math coprocessor
pc0     at isa? port 0x60 irq 1         # pccons generic PC console driver
pcppi0  at isa?
sysbeep0        at pcppi?
wdc*    at isapnp?
wdc0    at isa? port 0x1f0 irq 14       # ST506, ESDI, and IDE controllers
wdc1    at isa? port 0x170 irq 15
wd*     at wdc? drive ?                 # the drives themselves
atapibus* at wdc?
cd*     at atapibus? drive ?            # ATAPI CD-ROM drives
fdc0    at isa? port 0x3f0 irq 6 drq 2  # standard PC floppy controllers
fd*     at fdc? drive ?                 # the drives themselves
ep0     at isa? port ? irq ?                    # 3C509 ethernet cards

include "arch/i386/conf/GENERIC.local"

pseudo-device   bpfilter        8       # Berkeley packet filter
pseudo-device   ipfilter                # IP filter (firewall) and NAT
pseudo-device   loop                    # network loopback

pseudo-device   pty             64      # pseudo-terminals
pseudo-device   tb              1       # tablet line discipline