Subject: Quake2 [Was: Re: realaudio FreeBSD under NetBSD]
To: Brad Spencer <brad@anduin.eldar.org>
From: Urban Boquist <boquist@cs.chalmers.se>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 08/08/1998 12:51:06

>> [The Quake 2 Linux binary blows up with a mremap call which is not
>> supported, but it also plays its sounds correctly, for a short
>> time]

>    Um, it should be supported in -current.

Brad> Well, while there is a mremap emulated call, part of it is not
Brad> [was not??]  emulated, specifically:

The part of mremap that is in -current is enough for quake2, it only
ever does "shrinking regions".

Quake2 works just fine for me, with perfect sound (thanks Lennart!)
and CD music.

I scribbled down some notes on what I did, see below.

Feel free to mail me if you can't get it working.

	-- Urban

1. Update to -current (at least 19980607). Alternatively, grab the
patch in PR kern/5693, it will probably apply to anything down to at
least NetBSD 1.3.

2. Get the file "quake2-317-i386-unknown-linux2.0.tar.gz" from your
favourite idgames mirror.

3. Unpack it, say in the directory "FOO". Then, in "FOO/baseq2/" you
will need to put the file "pak0.pak" and the two directories "video"
and "players".  You can copy these off the Quake2 CD, or make links.

If you don't have the CD you can probably grab the necessary files
from the (only?) released playable demo, the file "q2-314-demo-x86.exe".
Unfortunately that file is huge and you need DOS to uncompress it. I
haven't tried this.

4. Create a soft link to your CD device, for me this was:

	/emul/linux/dev/cdrom -> /dev/cd0d

This is only needed for CD audio (i.e. music, not sound). You may also
want to do a "chmod a+r /dev/cd0d" if you want to play as non-root.

5. Create a file /emul/linux/etc/mtab, with a single line:

	/dev/cdrom /cd iso9660

Note: the existance of this file seems to be the only "CD check" that
the game does, i.e.  you don't need the CD to play (unless you want CD
audio). [Note: I think this restriction went away with 3.17].

6. Create a file /emul/linux/etc/quake2.conf containing the path to
your quake2 directory (FOO above).

7. Make sure your display is set to ":0" (it will be unbearably slow
otherwise). You may also want to reduce your X resolution if it feels
slow.

8. Run "quake2". Enjoy!