Subject: Re: pppd weird stuff..
To: Sean Murphy <033197m@acadiau.ca>
From: Michael C. Ibarra <ibarra@hawk.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 08/07/1998 22:46:33
At 11:21 PM 8/7/98 -0300, Sean Murphy wrote:
>I've finally got my 386 set up (1.3.2) as a gateway/router for my local
>network.  I'm trying to set it up so that when my 386 dials up, it routes
>internet packets to/from the appropriate system on the network.  That bit
>seems to be working fine.  The only problem I have is getting the darn
>thing to dial up.  I've been fiddling with pppd for quite some time now,
>but whenever it dials up, it makes its squelchy connect noise, stops, and
>starts to redial again.  I've tried setting the timeout values to way
>higher to see if that was the problem.  It wasn't.  I'm about out of
>ideas, anyone else have a clue for me?
>
>Sean Murphy (033197m@acadiau.ca)
>-----
>-History is rarely made by reasonable men.

you need to give ALOT more info than the above. To start off with, perhaps
you should
try to start ppp in verbose mode and capture the output to a log, then
include that.
Also, include your startup script that you are using. Without this info, it
would
just be a guess as to what is wrong, but if I had to guess, I would say
that perhaps
the machine is waiting for something and getting nothing, disconnecting and
since
you are probably running in a daemon mode, will try again.

Michael C. Ibarra

Hawk Information Systems - www.hawk.com