Subject: Re: realaudio FreeBSD under NetBSD
To: None <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
From: Brad Spencer <brad@anduin.eldar.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 08/07/1998 20:04:30
   On Fri, 7 Aug 1998 17:39:10 -0400 (EDT)
    Brad Spencer <brad@anduin.eldar.org> wrote:

    > /emul/freebsd/dev/dsp
    >
    > symlinked to your audio device.  Same with the Linux emulation.  I'v tried
    > the FreeBSD static real audio player, and use the Linux Quake binary with
    > proper sounds.

   ...specifically:

   /emul/freebsd/dev/dsp -> /dev/sound

   ...is what you want.

Possibly also true, not knowing any better, I used /dev/audio and it
seemes to be fine.

    > [The Quake 2 Linux binary blows up with a mremap call which is not
    > supported, but it also plays its sounds correctly, for a short time]

   Um, it should be supported in -current.

Well, while there is a mremap emulated call, part of it is not [was not??]
emulated, specifically:

linux_sys_mremap(p, v, retval)
        struct proc *p;
        void *v;
        register_t *retval;
{
        struct linux_sys_mremap_args /* {
                syscallarg(void *) old_address;
                syscallarg(size_t) old_size;
                syscallarg(size_t) new_size;
                syscallarg(u_long) flags;
        } */ *uap = v;
        struct sys_munmap_args mua;
        size_t old_size, new_size;
        int error;

[snip]

        /*
         * Growing mapped region.
         */
        if (new_size > old_size) {
                /*
                 * XXX Implement me.  What we probably want to do is
                 * XXX dig out the guts of the old mapping, mmap that
                 * XXX object again with the new size, then munmap
                 * XXX the old mapping.
                 */
                *retval = 0;
                return (ENOMEM);
        }

[snip]

}

Did this get added while I wasn't looking???  I'll admit that I have not
supped for a bit [doing so right now].

   Moffett Field, CA 94035                             Pager: +1 650 940 5942

Brad Spencer - brad@anduin.eldar.org   http://anduin.eldar.org
[finger brad@anduin.eldar.org for PGP public key]