Subject: Re: tough filesystem stains
To: None <ddouthitt@usa.net>
From: Eduardo E. Horvath <eeh@one-o.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 08/07/1998 08:30:58
On Fri, 7 Aug 1998, David Douthitt wrote:

> > - You mount filesystem, loading buffers/superblock into memory.
> > - You fsck filesytem, changing on-disk contents.
> > - You unmount filesystem, writing back bad buffers and superblock to disk
> > - Goto step 1
>
> Sounds logical to me.  However, if memory serves, isn't one only
> supposed to fsck *unmounted* filesystems?  What would happen if you
> did the equivalent of "fsck /" hmmmmm....?

Same thing.

What you can do is `mount -ur <thingy>' to get the filesystem into
read-only mode and flush the superblock, `fsck <thingy>' to clean it up,
and `mount -u <thingy>' to re-read the superblock and get it back into rw
mode.  That's basically how the root filesystem is repaired during a
normal boot operation, except it's initially mounted read-only.

Eduardo Horvath				eeh@one-o.com
	"I need to find a pithy new quote." -- me