Subject: Re: Anti SPAM (quickie)
To: None <tooleym@douglas.bc.ca>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 08/04/1998 16:33:35
On Tue, 4 Aug 1998 tooleym@douglas.bc.ca wrote:

: Would it be a problem to refuse incoming mail except from DNS-qualified MX
: hosts to the list? Then dumb dialup one-time-per-spam morons would be
: forced to use their own mail servers, which often filter out mass postings
: like the ones we've been getting more and more of recently..

We went through this before with Greg Woods' too-strict-for-me mailer.
It's perfectly legal for an A-record-only host to connect and send mail;
MX-required operation is broken. However, the host _must_ be
reverse-lookup-possible to a real A record, which is one of the default
protections in Sendmail 8.9.1.

Yes, we need better spam protection, and just adding this and RBL is enough
to eliminate most of it without going through the really bad hoops of
restricting posts to the lists.