Subject: Re: Timeout on port 80
To: Eric Fox , Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
From: Brian Buhrow <buhrow@cats.ucsc.edu>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 08/04/1998 09:20:00
	It occurrs to me that you realy need to establish whether or not the
problem is that traffic is not getting in or out.  My guess is that the
packets coming from the client to your server are getting in, but that your
is sending data with a source address that doesn't match the target address
you're trying to reach?  That is, if the IP address of the inaccessible
port is 3.4.5.6 and you telnet to 3.4.5.6:80, are you sure that the machine
isn't responding with a source address of 7.8.9.10?  If it is, it could be
that your provider is blocking source addresses that it thinks shouldn't be
coming from certain places in an attempt to keep people from performing IP
spoofing attacks against its customers.  I'm particularly struck by this
because you have an interface of ppp0, which doesn't worrk, and an
interface of ne0, which does.  What does the output of netstat -an show?
In particular, compare the things listening through inetd: ftp, telnet,
rsh, etc. with what's listening on port 80.  Everything should be wild
carded.  If it's not, then this might point at your problem.
-Brian