Subject: Re: Timeout on port 80
To: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
From: Eric Fox <eric@fox.phoenix.az.us>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 08/04/1998 07:15:53
On 04-Aug-98 Todd Vierling wrote:
> On Mon, 3 Aug 1998, Eric Fox wrote:
>
>: tcp    fox.phoenix.az.us            863             Connection accepted.
>: tcp    fox.phoenix.az.us           1025             Connection accepted.
>
> BTW, these are likely servers that have dynamic port numbers, possibly
> through portmapper.
>
>: As you can see, port 80 is the only one missing.  What's happening here?
>
> You sure your PPP peer hasn't started filtering port 80?  I hear many ISPs
> do that now, because so many people have latched onto dynip.com and
> dyn.ml.org....
>
> --
> -- Todd Vierling (Personal tv@pobox.com; Bus. todd_vierling@xn.xerox.com)

I hadn't thought about portmapper, could be.

I can only assume not, I sent a note my provider and was assured they weren't
blocking the port:

               ... We do not filter any tcp/ip traffic except when the
  person purchases the adult filtering. I can get to ftp, icmp and telnet
  ports on your machine, but I cannot get to port 80. There are no configs
  in the terminal server nor the router to disable port 80.

Which, if true, leaves me more than simply puzzled.

  /\---/\  Eric J Fox
 /  o o  \ mailto:eric@fox.phoenix.az.us
 \.\   /./ http://fox.phoenix.az.us
    \@/