Subject: Unfriendly Samba server
To: 'netbsd-help@netbsd.org' <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Harald Bjoroy <harald@bitcon.no>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 08/04/1998 15:03:17
Hi.

I hope this is the correct list for this question.

I am having a hard time getting my Samba server running (or rather;
working).

The message I get when doing "smbclient -L <myhost>" (from <myhost>) is
"Your server is being unfriendly (Extended error 0x0)" (not =
litterally).
This comes after a time-out period.

I have installed both the p3 version (from 1.3.2 packages) and p8
(downloaded from a Samba mirror). I have read all documentation I could
find, tested everything as described (with errors) and no luck.

The validation of the smb.conf is successful, and I also notice that
they are being read (at least of smbclient).

I have tried with higher debug-levels. The client give me much debug
messages, but the server doesn't give me any; at least no that I can
find.

I am running samba as a daemon, I have checked inetd.conf for any
"samba" things, but there is nothing there.

If I stop the "smbd", I get "Connection refused" (or something alike),
If smbd is running I get a time-out.

If I use the smbclient towards other machines (WinNT and Win95) i get
the response I expect.

If I do a "kill -HUP <smbd-pid>" I get a message in the log that "Got
HUP signal" (or something alike).

I have read the source-code for this error, and have discovered that
this is a "default:" message in an error-message switch.

Any hints?=20

I am running on NetBSD i386 1.3.2, on a Dec PC XL 466 with 32MB ram. I
can provide dmesg or other info if anyone think they have some use for
it. The smb.conf is minimal, taken from the documentation (not based on
the provided sample - I also have tried that).

I am running smbclient as root; I assume I would get some =
authentication
error message if that was the problem. My IP network is a subnet
starting at xxx.xx.xx.16, ending at xxx.xx.xx.31 (mask 0xFFFFFFF0), the
machine in question has the lowest address; 17.

Regards,

Harald Bjor=F8y.