Subject: Re: Timeout on port 80
To: Eric Fox <eric@fox.phoenix.az.us>
From: Julian Coleman <J.D.Coleman@newcastle.ac.uk>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 08/04/1998 08:44:33
Eric Fox wrote:
> The problem is that recently (since just last week), I can no longer view web
> pages from outside my LAN via ppp0.  They're fine from inside via ne0.
> Attempts to telnet to port 80 from the internet fail by timing out, but work
> fine from the LAN.

> As a side issue, anyone know what's listening to 863 & 1025?

Presumably, you used netstat to check what was listening and you saw a
*.http entry?  You could check that the packets are reaching the machine
from outside by running tcpdump.  You will see the incoming connections
if they are making it to your machine.  It might be worth running tcpdump
on the machine you telnet from, too.  You might see an ICMP message coming
back, e.g. port unreachable, administratively prohibited, etc.

To check which program has opened a port, you could use netstat and fstat.
For example, which program is listening on tcp port 7000?

  $ netstat -A -a -f inet
  f066e700 tcp        0      0  *.7000             *.*                LISTEN
  $ fstat | grep f066e700
  root     xfs         2484    3* internet stream tcp f066e700

Answer: the font server.

    1024/55A5BC19        0F 3F 62 56 18 10 8B 84  43 8F F4 94 93 37 76 AA

S.E.P.