Subject: the vt driver doesn't like me.
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Todd Whitesel <toddpw@best.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 08/03/1998 02:25:15
DB: David Brownlee <abs@anim.dreamworks.com>

DB> Both pc0 and vt0 will be going away at some point in the future to
DB> be replaced with wscons - a machine independent console device.

DB> In the meantime with respect to switching from pc0 to vt0....
DB> Just Do It :) - then edit /etc/ttys and copy the ttyv0 line to
DB> ttyv2, ttyv3, etc... leaving ttyv1 for X. Then use CTRL+ATL+F1
DB> / F2 etc to switch screens.

I tried enabling the vt driver last night and thought it would be simple.
I ended up spending considerably more time than I expected, and it still
doesn't 100% work. Before I spend too much time trying to work up good PRs,
everyone please tell me if the following are already known problems:

    - vanilla 1.3.2 installation doesn't have scon/cursor/etc. utilities,
	and I had to build+install them from my src/sys/arch/i386/isa/pcvt.
    - with both SCANSET 1 and 2, shift+F[1-4] do nothing (no switchy).
    - if there is an error while probing or during single-user startup,
	my keyboard types totally wrong characters and I am "SCREWED".
    - I have pms0. I unplugged the mouse to loan out for a few hours and
	when I booted netbsd, it panic'd apparently while probing pms0 ??

Thanks for any pointers or clue cards...

JT: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>

JT> Yes.  Now that Lennart has added wsmouse support to our X tree, it should
JT> be possible to run X w/ the PCVT and RAWKBD emulations enabled in wscons.

JT> Normal wscons support in X is forthcoming.

JT> wscons, of course, gives us _fantastic_ VT100 emulation (very nice work,
JT> Matthias!), virtual terminals, etc.  Also, wscons will enable use of USB
JT> input devices (very nice work, Lennart!).

The Sooner The Better.

BTW has anyone noticed how Microsoft USB mice and keyboards just kind of
quietly started appearing in computer stores over the last week?

I still have to order that Belkin 3-button USB mouse from pcconnection.

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ best.com