Subject: Re: Xwindows
To: None <xwolf@pcez.com>
From: Julian Coleman <J.D.Coleman@newcastle.ac.uk>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 08/03/1998 09:26:29
s9 wrote:
> the help file also said if you are using the "older method", to add that
> big long string (above) to the rc.local file. now when i type startx it

Looks fine.  The 'big long string' tells the loader where to find the
shared libraries that the X programs use.

> gives me the message "xinit: no such file or directory (errno 2): no
> server "X" in PATH."

There should be a program called 'X' in you X-Windows bin directory
(probably /usr/X11/bin).  If startx (or xinit) can't find the program,
either you don't have that directory in your path or there is no 'X'
binary.  On all my machines, 'X' is a symbolic link to the correct
Xserver to run (e.g., X -> Xsun on a Sun, X -> XF68_SVGA on an Atari).

If you don't have the X binary directory in your path, you'll need to
add that (e.g. 'PATH=$PATH:/usr/X11/bin export PATH') or you'll need to
create the symbolic link to the correct X server.  Unfortunately, I don't
know which is the correct X server for your Mac.

    1024/55A5BC19        0F 3F 62 56 18 10 8B 84  43 8F F4 94 93 37 76 AA

S.E.P.