Subject: Xwindows
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.ORG>
From: s9 <xwolf@pcez.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 08/03/1998 01:01:52
i installed xcomp.tgz, xbase.tgz, xfont.tgz, xserver.tgz, and
xcontrib.tgz. then in netbsd i typed startx... it gave me the message
startx: command not found so i put the path /usr/X11R6/bin in my .cshrc
file and then when i typed startx it gave me the message xinit:
libXmu.so.6.0 not found so i added the string,

#
#Build the link-editor fast directory cache.
#
echo "adding X libraries to the runtime link editor directory cache."
ldconfig -m /usr/X11R6/lib

to the file rc.local in the /etc directory. the help file told me to add
the string /usr/X11R6/lib to the ld.so.conf file in the /etc directory
if you're using the "new method" but i was unable to find that file. but
the help file also said if you are using the "older method", to add that
big long string (above) to the rc.local file. now when i type startx it
gives me the message "xinit: no such file or directory (errno 2): no
server "X" in PATH."

please help...s9