Subject: Re: fvwm
To: Jym & Sharon Brittain <boleyhs@brightok.net>
From: Robert Alexander Baxter <alex@santa.asf.alaska.edu>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 05/27/1998 16:01:03
Jym & Sharon Brittain wrote:

> Great, I've set the display to 0, as I am attempting to run this on the
> same machine. I attempted to launch xterm, and I attempted to launch
> fvwm2,
>  Now I get the following error:
>
> _X11TransSocketUNIXConnect: Can't connect: errno=2
>
> This happens 6 times before getting the same Cant open display error as
> before

It isn't clear from your message whether or not you
can successfully start the X server and an xterm, before
you attempt to start fvwm.  If you do have the X server
running, and have a working xterm, can you start another
xterm?  Can you start twm?

I have in the past been exposed to incorrectly compiled
versions of fvwm which gave this exact error you describe
and wouldn't work regardless of the state of the rest of the
system.

Perhaps what is going on here is that the network
loopback device is not up.  Try typing, as root:

   ifconfig lo

If you get a message like:

   lo: unknown interface

then you do not have the loopback interface set up.
Otherwise, you might get a printout of the loopback
status, and if the printout doesn't contain a line
which contains the phrase "UP BROADCAST LOOPBACK RUNNING"
then your loopback interface is set up, but is not activated.

The loopback interface is an interface in the kernel networking
which just lets your computer talk to its own self.  The X
server uses TCP/IP to communicate with clients, so the loopback
interface must be running for the X server to start fvwm.

You can check whether or not the loopback is working with
such commands as:

   telnet localhost
   telnet 127.0.0.1
   ping 127.0.0.1