Subject: A couple questions... (Sound, X, etc.)
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Mason Loring Bliss <mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 05/24/1998 16:44:37
Hi, all! Nothing urgent, but I'm curious about a couple things.

1) A friend sent me some MP3 sound files. I snagged and built amp, but my
sound card is too old/primitive/starved to deal with the files. I tried
doing "amp -c -w foo.mp3 bar.wav" and variations on that to convert, but
it evidently didn't work. In some cases the thing dumped core. (Not every-
thing on my box does that! Honest! :)

I guess what I need to do is chop the sounds down from sixteen bits to
eight bits, and maybe drop them from 44kHz to 22kHz or something. My sound
card is a pretty ancient 8-bit SoundBlaster. Is there anything out there
that'll do this for me?

2) I'd love to start using my Unix box for sound editing. Right now I use
SoundEffects on my Mac. Is there anything equivalent that'll work with
NetBSD? xwave doesn't seem to want to record sounds for me, and it seems
slightly feature-starved anyway. (I *can* record by catting from /dev/audio,
but that's not quite slick enough! Of course, now that I've tried it again,
it fails to work. Blah. I'll figure the silly thing out.)

3) Is there a non-window-manager specific way to do macros in X? I'd like
to have a window-manager-nonspecific way to tie a sequence of keystrokes
to F1 or maybe ALT-1.

Thanks in advance for any clues given.

--
Mason Loring Bliss...mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us...www.webtrek.com/mason
"In the drowsy dark cave of the mind dreams build their nest with fragments