Subject: Two problems - help greatly appreciated.
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Mason Loring Bliss <mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 05/15/1998 01:31:28
Hi! No one has chimed in on either problem I've been experiencing lately...
Here they are again, in case anyone has any ideas. Both problems are being
experienced on a 40mHz 486 running NetBSD 1.3.1. I'll send-pr the stuff
soon, if no one has any input. (I hope someone can help, though. Life would
be happier for me. <grin>)

First, a my post to port-i386 from earlier:

I picked up a sound card today... It works, sort of, but not like it should.
If I cat a test .au file to /dev/audio, it'll play, but here's what's odd:
It's like there's a buffer that holds maybe ten seconds or something of
sound - maybe less - and

cat food > /dev/audio

won't exit until the whole mess has played four or so times. If I play
something particularly long, and then play something short, when the short
piece has ended, whatever is left in the buffer from the long sound will play.

Here's what my kernel has to say, at startup time:

sb0 at isa0 port 0x220-0x22f irq 7 drq 1: dsp v2.01
audio0 at sb0

Does this behaviour make any sense to anyone? I'd love to get the sound card
working *slightly* better than this.

Incidentally, I installed rplay, and playing stuff through rplay generates
the same loopy behaviour.

If nothing I've said makes any sense or points to any known problems, can
someone suggest stuff I might try to get information that's relevant?

Here's what audioctl -a has to say:

name=SoundBlaster
version=2.01
config=SB_2.x
encodings=ulinear:8,mulaw:8*,alaw:8*,slinear:8*
properties=mmap
full_duplex=0
blocksize=400
hiwat=163
lowat=1
monitor_gain=0
mode=
play.rate=8000
play.channels=1
play.precision=8
play.encoding=mulaw
play.gain=127
play.balance=32
play.port=0x0
play.avail_ports=0x0
play.seek=19200
play.samples=0
play.eof=0
play.pause=0
play.error=0
play.waiting=0
play.open=0
play.active=1
play.buffer_size=65536
record.rate=8000
record.channels=1
record.precision=8
record.encoding=mulaw
record.gain=127
record.balance=32
record.port=0x0
record.avail_ports=0x0
record.seek=0
record.samples=0
record.eof=0
record.pause=0
record.error=0
record.waiting=0
record.open=0
record.active=0
record.buffer_size=65536
record.errors=0

The other problem I'm having is that xautolock gives me a bus error / core
dumped message when I try to run it. This occurs both with what I compiled
from the package system and with the precompiled version I got from ftp.
netbsd.org. I've got no clue why it would do this... I haven't tried it under
a generic kernel yet, but so far nothing else has failed to run for me under
my existing kernel. I posted a ktrace to one of the lists not too long ago,
but since no one commented, it could be that no one saw it. I can post the
ktrace again if anyone wants... It seems odd that such a common program
would fail on my system. I haven't seen reports of anyone else having it
break on them previously...

Thank you very much for your help! I've got no further clues with either
problem, and help will be gratefully appreciated.

--
Mason Loring Bliss...mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us...www.webtrek.com/mason
"In the drowsy dark cave of the mind dreams build their nest with fragments