Subject: Re: how to clear a file?
To: None <djv@bedford.net>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 03/26/1998 08:39:45
On Thu, 26 Mar 1998 11:02:43 -0500 (EST)
 CyberPeasant <djv@bedford.net> wrote:

 > > My daily script reports the following:
 > >
 > > UNREF FILE I=19091  OWNER=root MODE=100644
 > > SIZE=0 MTIME=Mar 25 02:00 1998
 > > CLEAR? no
 > >

 > > How do I clear this? It has been this way for about a year.
 > >
 > > Thanks,
 > >
 > > Brad
 >
 > I'm surprised that it hasn't been caught and fixed at boot.

Ahem...

There is no need to "clear" this file at all.

Note that when the fsck runs in the daily scipts, it's running on
a LIVE file system.  It is perfectly normal to see these sorts of
things on a LIVE file system.

You would find that as soon as you unmounted the file system and
fsck'd it manually, the "problem" would be gone.

As legend has it, the purpose of the nightly fsck is to give early warning
of bad blocks... I actually have it disabled in my daily.conf.