Subject: Re: how to clear a file?
To: Brad Salai <bsalai@tmonline.com>
From: CyberPeasant <djv@bedford.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 03/26/1998 11:02:43
> My daily script reports the following:
>
> UNREF FILE I=19091  OWNER=root MODE=100644
> SIZE=0 MTIME=Mar 25 02:00 1998
> CLEAR? no
>

> How do I clear this? It has been this way for about a year.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Brad

I'm surprised that it hasn't been caught and fixed at boot.

Take the machine to single user (if necessary), or unmount the
file system containing the error. (kill -TERM 1 will bring the system
to single-user (man init)).  If the file system is essential to
multi-user operation (/ /usr /var etc etc) then you should go to
single user. If the file system is not essential (/usr/stuff?) you
may get away with repairing it while the system is multiuser. But
(except for /) it /must/ be unmounted before proceeding.

Then run fsck on the file system, answering the questions "y".

Dave
--
A temptation exhibited on Bugtraq:
  "This not only crashes MSIE4 but also Eudora4.0 (yes the mail reader...)