Subject: Re: Media Error - How to mark block bad.
To: Harald Bjoroy <harald@bitcon.no>
From: Frank van der Linden <frank@wins.uva.nl>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 03/26/1998 02:00:32
On Mon, Mar 23, 1998 at 11:05:36PM +0100, Harald Bjoroy wrote:
> Another question:
> This is on a pmax system. I intend to install either NetBSD or Linux on a
> PC to support some more disk for this machine using NFS. Someone told me
> that Linux is not reccomended for this; is there any reason for this, or
> is it just that one don't want you to mix religions? Could I go for Linux
> without having any more problems than with NetBSD?

Generally, Linux is not recommended in these cases because its lacks
NFS performance. This is due to the Linux userspace NFS implementation.
I know that there is work going on to improve this, but last time I looked
this was not complete yet (for example, NFSv3 support in the kernel wasn't
complete yet). Perhaps this may have changed - I don't know, but this
was always the reason that Linux was not recommended as an NFS server.

- Frank