Subject: Media Error - How to mark block bad.
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Harald Bjoroy <harald@bitcon.no>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 03/23/1998 23:05:36
Hi.

I'm getting "Media error, blk 325950" (it seems consistent, always the
same block).

Is there a way to mark this block as bad? Is there a tool for doing this?

This is on a Seagate disk, used for /usr/local/ and as such not critical
for the system. (ST 1239 NS to be exact, app. 200 MB in size).

Another question:
This is on a pmax system. I intend to install either NetBSD or Linux on a
PC to support some more disk for this machine using NFS. Someone told me
that Linux is not reccomended for this; is there any reason for this, or
is it just that one don't want you to mix religions? Could I go for Linux
without having any more problems than with NetBSD?

Harald.