Subject: Can't log su root
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Harald Bjoroy <harald@bitcon.no>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 03/17/1998 01:17:43
Hi.

I am new to NetBSD, but not that new to UNIX. And also; i have read the
faq on *BSD system administration AND read the section 4.4.5.2 (this is
from the http://cynjut.neonramp.com/complete.faq.html faq) on this topic.

The topic incorrectly states that the groups are defined in the file
/etc/groups (not /etc/group), but that's not important to me.

The issue is; I can't su root from any user.

via "vipw" I have added the user "hbadmin", like this

hbadmin:*:1010:150:HB AdminUser:/usr/users/hbadmin:/bin/ksh

the group file has these interesting lines:

wheel:*:0:root,harald,gunnar,hbadmin
bitcon:*:150:harald,gunnar,hbadmin

I also have created the home directory.

The problem started like this:

I installed NetBSD as best I could using the docu on
www.netbsd.org/ftp.netbsd.org, and got the system up & running on the
root from the file .../pmax/diskimage/diskimage.gz (or something).

I ran sysinst after getting some help from Gunnar Helliesen on how to
mount the fs rw (the documentation on the pmax ftp site is rotten here;
it still reads 1.3_beta even if it is NOT in beta).

Sysinst insisted on using the one harddrive, so it ran out of disk
(really without noticing itself; but thats no problem).

The machine has three disks each of about 200 MB, so I decided to make a
manual install with a 64 MB root fs, 64 MB swap, /var mounted as the rest
of this disk, and a whole disk for /usr. The disk I first installed on is
still intact and booting the "diskimage.gz" root.

NB! With the original boot disk, I can su root without problems.

I copied most of the system (step-by-step to get to know NetBSD) to the
new boot-disk. The only important thing I changed was the fstab file. I
copied MAKEDEV and ran MAKEDEV all to create the devices; rebooted and
after a couple of tries everything seemed to work.

But; as the subject says - I can't su root. I added another user (as
described above) to check if I had to remake a password-database; but no
luck; I still can't su root!

I tried to delete all password files except "master.passwd", and all the
other files was rebuilt -> no success.

I get the same "Sorry" if I try on the console as in a telnet session.
The message on the console is:
<time> <machine-name> su: BAD SU <username> to root on <terminal>

I need help; please.

Harald Bjoroy.