Subject: FreeBSD security problems effect NetBSD?
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Nathan Gelbard <gelbard@ENGR.ORST.EDU>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 03/12/1998 14:50:54
Two security announcementswere just made on BugTraq regarding FreeBSDs'
problems with LAND, and a bug in mmap.

I've pasted a little excerpt from each below. Does NetBSD have the
same problems? the land.c code claims that NetBSD 1.2 was vulnerable,
what about 1.3?

        Thanx
                Nate

(land)
I.   Background

     In most TCP stacks state is kept based on the source and
     destination address of a packet received.

II.  Problem Description

     A problem exists in most FreeBSD derived stacks that allows a
     malicious user to send a packet that causes the sytsem to lock
     up, thus producing a denial of service attack.

(mmap)
I.   Background

     The 4.4BSD VM system allows files to be "memory mapped", which
     causes the specified contents of a file to be made available
     to a process via its address space. Manipulations of that file
     can then be performed simply by manipulating memory, rather
     than using filesystem I/O calls.  This technique is used to
     simplify code, speed up access to files, and provide interprocess
     communication.

II.  Problem Description

     Due to a 4.4BSD VM system problem, it is possible to memory-map
     a read-only descriptor to a character device in read-write
     mode.