Subject: Re: Docs and manuals - VI problems
To: None <staffan.bengtsson@mailbox.swipnet.se>
From: Mike Long <mikel@shore.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 03/12/1998 01:48:52
>From: Staffan Bengtsson <staffan.bengtsson@mailbox.swipnet.se>
>Date: Mon, 09 Mar 1998 11:37:50 +0100
>
>It took a long time before I actually suceeded in editing and saving a file in
>VI. The installation manual does not give me any help at all, it only tells me
>to use "VI". Is there any manual or DOC aviable somewhere for VI so I can
>learn to use it, or is there any other editing tool in netBSD 1.3 ?

Not on the install media.  If you have access to a UN*X system where
you work, I suggest printing out the vi(1) manpage.  Usually there's
enough information there to at least perform simple editing tasks.

>I have edited fstab, incorrectly... And now the system claims that it is a
>read-only system and vi refuses to save new changes for fstab.
>Is there any help anywhere how fstab should be edited?

Probably your root filesystem is mounted read-only.  Try

# mount -u /

before you edit /etc/fstab.
--
Mike Long <mikel@shore.net>                http://www.shore.net/~mikel