Subject: /bin/sh and timestamps in outputredirection
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Bernd Salbrechter <salb@pc2213.gud.siemens.co.at>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 03/10/1998 10:13:00
Hello!

I have ported NNFS 1.5 to NetBSD 1.3 which work quite nice.  But I have
spend a day figuring out why the test failed.

The test is a bourne shell script ("#!/bin/sh"), which use a sequence
of "echo "text" > file ; sleep 1" to get a set of files with a definded
timestamp relation. But I got all with the same timestamp, except that
one which was copied to simulate identical files.  I have managed to
get different timestamps using "touch" befor "sleep", to get the test
working.

My questions are:

  1.) Are the better solutions to get different timestamps.

  2.) Have I missed something in the documentation or is this a bug.

  3.) Is there are portable way to get file with a given contence and a
  defined timestamp relation.

I will collect the results and send it to the author of NNFS.

BTW. To which category in the pakage tree this package should go. It can
be used to synchronize a directory tree over serveral host, as long the
is a way to get the data transfered. Even a disk (1.2 MByte) would be
do the job, as long as you don't cange more data between the transfers.

Thanks
Bernd Salbrechter