Subject: disklabel vs. mbr partitions
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Anders Eriksson <aer@cdt.luth.se>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 03/06/1998 09:48:06
Hi,
I've been trying to access my msdos partition on my boot disk (netbsd lives on
the second) without success. I know I have done it on other machines with
similar setup, but this one bites back.

The original setup is w95 on wd0 with grub as bootlaoder, netbsd on wd1. If i
run disklabel on wd0 it finds a msdos partition on 'e'. Mounting it gives a
line 'No disklabel' and all sorts of read/write errors (thrashed files). ls et
c works though.

running
disklabel -r wd0 > /tmp/label
disklabel -R -r wd0 /tmp/label

to write the label on the disk trashes the mbr partition information and makes
me loose the w95 partition. Restiring the partition information by hand in
fdisk makes it come back, but then I get the 'no disklabel' warning. What's up?
I've done this before. Any info on exactly where the disklabel is located on
the disk and what it is made up of would be appreciated. (As well as a
solution the the problem itself)

/Anders