Subject: YP
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Paulo Alexandre Pinto Pires <pappires@phoenix.del.ufrj.br>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 03/02/1998 08:16:39
Hello, All.

I was experiencing with ypserv another day and I had several problems
which I'd like to exposed so that I may implement YP with success here.

The first one is that I tried to run ypserv using ypserv.acl file as
below

	allow host localhost
	allow host phoenix
	allow host vortex
	allow host crux
	allow host panis
	allow host vinis
	allow host calix
	allow host huey
	allow host louey
	allow host duey
	allow host magma
	deny all

but then none of the machines listed above could successfully ypbind.
I tried with their IP addresses as well (even though the names were
listed in /etc/hosts), but it also did not work.  Do I *have to* define
a netgroup including all the machines which should access the yp server?

The second problem is that when I had rpc.yppasswdd running, yppasswd
(and passwd too, if ypbind succeeded) would change the users' passwords
in /etc/master.passwd but leave the YP map untouched.  Is it normal that
I would have to ``make -f ../Makefile.yp'' frequently to allow users to
effectively changing their passwords?

The last problem is that I could not find a sintax for the ypservers file
anywhere, and it is necessary for describing what machine should be the
master server and what should be slave servers.  I thought of simply
listing one host per line, with the master server at the first line.  It
seemed to work, but then a ``ypcat ypservers'' showed me an "empty" map,
with as many blank lines as real lines I put in the file.

Thanks in advance,
	Pappires