Subject: Re: Reboot only halts
To: Mason Loring Bliss <mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us>
From: David Wetzel <dave@turbocat.de>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 02/28/1998 19:45:13
> From: Mason Loring Bliss <mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us>

> On Fri, Feb 27, 1998 at 05:21:56PM +0100, David Wetzel wrote:
>
> > I have an i486DX4-100 on an ASUS SP3G with latest BIOS.
> >
> > When I execute "reboot" the machine only shuts down and halts.
> > I have to walk down and press reset.
(...)
> In my experience, making a smaller kernel tends to work. I'm running a
> couple 486-based machines that have had the same problem. If the kernel
> is too large, the machine won't reboot. If I cut out some options to
> decrease the size of the kernel, it'll reboot. Whether or not this is a
> cargo-cult solution, the cutoff seems to be somewhere between 1300 and
> 1500
kilobytes. Kernels I build that are 14xx K or bigger hang at the
> end of
> the world, whereas smaller ones reboot. (This number is far from exact.)

alice# ls -l /netbsd
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  1077340 Feb 27 18:47 /netbsd

It worked the last 2 times as I wend down, _connected a keyboard_, loged
in as root and rebooted.

But thats not what I like...

---
   _  _
 _(_)(_)_  David Wetzel, Turbocat's Development,
(_) __ (_) Buchhorster Strasse, D-16567 Muehlenbeck/Berlin, FRG,
  _/  \_   Fax +49 33056 82835 NeXTmail dave@turbocat.de
 (______)  http://www.turbocat.de/
           DEVELOPMENT * CONSULTING * ADMINISTRATION
           WATCH OUT FOR TURBOFAX for OPENSTEP!