Subject: Re: Reboot only halts
To: David Wetzel <dave@turbocat.de>
From: Mason Loring Bliss <mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 02/28/1998 11:15:37
On Fri, Feb 27, 1998 at 05:21:56PM +0100, David Wetzel wrote:

> I have an i486DX4-100 on an ASUS SP3G with latest BIOS.
>
> When I execute "reboot" the machine only shuts down and halts.
> I have to walk down and press reset.

I don't know if this is related, but the mac68k port has been experiencing
the same thing with some machines.

In my experience, making a smaller kernel tends to work. I'm running a
couple 486-based machines that have had the same problem. If the kernel
is too large, the machine won't reboot. If I cut out some options to
decrease the size of the kernel, it'll reboot. Whether or not this is a
cargo-cult solution, the cutoff seems to be somewhere between 1300 and 1500
kilobytes. Kernels I build that are 14xx K or bigger hang at the end of
the world, whereas smaller ones reboot. (This number is far from exact.)

Just a thought. You might be having a different problem. It would be
interesting if this ended up being some sort of bizarre MI bug.

--
Mason Loring Bliss...mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us...www.webtrek.com/mason
"In the drowsy dark cave of the mind dreams build their nest with fragments