Subject: Re: cannot get sound to work on any machine
To: None <root@garbled.futureone.com>
From: Lennart Augustsson <augustss@cs.chalmers.se>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 02/19/1998 18:23:52
> I have a sparc 1 and a i386 w/ Sound Blaster 16 (dsp 3.0something) and I cannot
> get sound to work on either of them..
>
> 1) cat blah.au >/dev/audio doesnt work.
>
> If I cat a soundfile longer than like 30 seconds.. it starts to repeat over and
> over and over..  it takes about 2 minutes for a ^c to abort it.  Sound files
> catted to the port afterwards, will play, then immediately revert to the
> remainder of the previous sound, until they both repeat.  ie  A= long file..
> B=short
> AAAAAAAAAA->AAAAAAAAAAA where -> is the repeat.
> BBBAAAAAAA->BBBAAAAAAAA etc etc..
This sounds like you don't have the card at the right interrupt.
Are you sure it is at IRQ 7?  The sound card probe doesn't verify
that what the config file says is correct, it just blindly trusts it.

> I attempted to use mpg123 to play a sound file..  dismal failure follows:
>
> Playing MPEG stream from SlayerAndAtariTeenageRiot_NoRemorse.mp3 ...
> MPEG 1.0 layer III, 128 kbit/s, 44100 Hz joint-stereo
> audio: Invalid argument

Well, mpg123 requires 16 bit sound (AFAIK), and you have a SB Pro
which is 8 bit.  At least that is how your card presents itself.  DSP
version 3.xx is SB Pro, not SB 16.

        -- Lennart