Subject: Re: Inappropriate file type or format?
To: John Paquette <jpaquette@duplinnet.com>
From: David Brownlee <abs@anim.dreamworks.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 02/16/1998 23:56:57
On Tue, 17 Feb 1998, John Paquette wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have installed NetBSD1.2 on a 386sx/16 4meg 200ide.  When I

	Sorry to have to say this, but you should probably look at
	installing 1.3 if you can. Not that 1.2 is bad by an means,
	just 1.3 is better :)

> boot it seems to recognize my hardware and assigns device names.
> I also see the following line during the boot process:
> "kvm.mkdb: /netbsd: stripped: Inappropriate file type or format."

	That indicates you are still using the install kernel - you
	need to download a generic kernel, build your own, or update
	to 1.3

> I get a login: prompt and can get in as root.  I don't seem to be
> able to access my devices?  Can't get anything to print.  Used lpc

	Which devices - can you send the output of dmesg.

> and it doesn't seem to think I have a printer? Can't read or write

	Have you setup printcap to assign a printer to your printer port.

> to a floppy?  I am new to unix and have a book and am using the man

	You should be about to use 'mount_msdos /dev/fd0a /mnt'
	(Assuming you have run 'mkdir /mnt' first)
	Remember to 'umount /mnt' before removing the floppy).

		David/absolute

.---- I've been too drunk to love ----.-- I've been too drunk to remember -.
|          too drunk to care          |    the hell of the night before    |
|  looked like death, felt like hell  |   I've been drinking myself blind  |
`------ been the worse for wear ------'-- and still I'll drink some more --'