Subject: TOP Quick Question
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.ORG>
From: None <tooleym@douglas.bc.ca>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 02/14/1998 12:58:43
Is there a diff list for the sources to TOP that I'm missing? I have a 99%
full /usr (even with twice the recommended hard drive space I still ran
out..  DOH!) and installing the pkgsrc would be akin to pulling teeth.

I downloaded the top source in the distfiles /packages directory in the
ftp.netbsd.org (which seems to be dead right now anyway) and am trying to
compile it myself. I took out the conditional sys_errlist[] which
apparently was added for systems that have sys_errlist[] already defined
in stdio.h after the compiler complained about it, and it compiled
smoothly. However, when I actualy ran the compiled program, I got:

root:battle>/local/top-3.5beta6 39 ]./top
top: cannot read nswap: kvm_read: Bad address
top: cannot read nswdev: kvm_read: Bad address
top: cannot read nswapmap: kvm_read: Bad address
top: cannot read swdevt: kvm_read: Bad address
top: panic: nswapmap goof
root:battle>/local/top-3.5beta6 40 ]

Blah..  I realize that someone recently posted a note asking this same
question however the response was "use the package system--it works fine."

I'm the kind of guy who downloads some source and wants to learn the nuts
and bolts..  I don't want convenience in this case--I'm curious to know
what's going wrong. I'd be tracing this stuff down myself but I'm not an
ueber-kernel-hacker (like, say, Jason), and I have no idea what nswap,
nswdev, nswapmap..  the kvm_* structures.. etc all mean or symbolize.

(Note to the anonymous emailer who sent me the one-line "read the kernel
source!" note. Ha ha. Funny guy. I rewrite my netinet routines and that's
the extent of my ueber-ish-ness. )

Thanks for any help anyone may have to offer, from pointers to www
resources, to diff listings, to step-by-steps, to "hey read the source
code! hahahaha" (humour content).

Sincerely,

Marc Tooley
tooleym@douglas.bc.ca