Subject: Re: Script permission
To: Rick Copeland <rickgc@calweb.com>
From: Jonathan Marsden <Jonathan@XC.Org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 02/04/1998 22:34:04
On 4 Feb 1998, Rick Copeland writes:

> I am trying to use the script command on a NetBSD i386 1.21 system.
> When I login as root the Script command works as expected but when I
> login as a user I get:

>         %script <enter>
>         script: typescript: Permission denied

Most likely, you lack write permission to the current directory, or
perhaps to the file named typescript within it.

Try

   %echo junk >typescript

and I expect you will also see a similar 'permission denied' error.

   %ls -ld . typescript

will show you the ownership and permissions on both of those objects.

Perhaps you ran script as root in this same directory before, and so
that earlier invocation of script created a file called typescript
owned by, and only writable by, root?  In this case

   %script someotherfile

will work fine and solve your problem, as would (as root)

   #mv typescript root.typescript

followed by (as you)

   %script

If the directory itself is the problem, then you would need to specify
a file elsewhere in the directory hierarchy, somewhere you *do* have
write access, perhaps

   %script ~/mynewscriptfile

would work, placing the file in your home directory.  Or try

   %script /tmp/mynewscriptfile

instead.

In any event, the issue is almost certainly not with the script
command at all, but with file and directory permissions.

Hoping this helps,

Jonathan
--
Jonathan Marsden   | Internet: jonathan@xc.org  | Making electronic
1849 N. Wabash Ave.| Phone: +1 (909) 794 1151   | communications work