Subject: Re: w95CD-rom w/ long filenames
To: None <aer@cdt.luth.se>
From: Wolfgang Solfrank <ws@tools.de>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/28/1998 17:26:06
> So, what is the long-style filenames, supported in netbsd, called? I red
> somewhere that the original iso9660 was 8.3 style. I have CDs with long
> names which netbsd handles so there must be something....

iso9660 doesn't limit names to 8.3.  There is however a level 2 comformance
to iso9660 that does limit it to 8.3 (plus version number, see below).

Filenames in iso9660 are limited though.  They can only have upper case letters,
digits and `_'.  In addition, they must have exactly one `.'.  At the end
they must have a `;' followed by a version number (in ASCII) between 1 and
32767. The part before the `;' is limited to 31 characters in length.
(As an aside, note that the _length_ of the version number is _not_
limited :-)).  This all is valid only for regular files, not for directories.

Directory names must not have a `.' not a `;' (and thus no version number).
The length of directory names is limited to 31 characters.

In addition, there are some more restrictions on the CD directory structure,
let me know if you really want to know.

With NetBSD you can get these names unmodified if mounting a CD with the
option `-g'.  Otherwise, as most other OSs, NetBSD truncates the `;' and
the version number, and it translates the alpha characters to lower case.

Apart from that there is space in the directory entries where one can record
additional information.  This space is used by the Rock Ridge extensions to
record long filenames with arbitrary characters, posix style file attributes
and some more information.  BTW, the RR specification is in the process of
becoming an IEEE standard.

NetBSD, when encountering a CD that does have Rock Ridge extensions recorded,
automagically detects this and, by default, mounts the CD using these
extensions and thus shows you the directory tree in a more U*X like format.

Let me know if you want more information.

Ciao,
Wolfgang
--
ws@TooLs.DE     (Wolfgang Solfrank, TooLs GmbH) 	+49-228-985800