Subject: installation
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Fujie Zhang <fzhang@NMSU.Edu>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/27/1998 20:05:58
i have installed NetBSD 1.3. my computer has a AMD 200 MHz MMX cpu and a
Western Digital UDMA 3.2 GB hard disk. i initially had windows 95 residing
on my primary partition of 2 GB. there is 1.2 GB extended partition on the
disk. i installed NetBSD on a 1.5 GB partion split out fromt the primary
partition. i installed NetBSD using floppies. installation ran fine. i
modified the /etc/rc.conf changing the line rc.conf=NO to re.conf=YES.
however, when i rebooted the machine, i did not get a login prompt. in
stead, i had the prompt for the login shell path which i gave as either:
/bin/sh(default) or /bin/csh. i could use mount_msdos to mount my floppy
disk drive. but i do not know how to mount my hard disk. i can not even
find out what they are called anymore. i tried some of the name in the
directory: /dev such as wd0a(b, c, d, e, etc). but it did not work. i got
a message saying either the device is busy or not configured. BTW, my hard
disk is controlled by an of IDE type. has anybody come across similar
problems? pls help.

Also, there does not seem to be a boot manager as Linux and FreeBSD does.
i have to change the active drive using fdisk in order to boot to my
windows 95. any idea why is this. this is a big hassel. or maybe i did not
get the installation right. finally can somebody mail me a copy of his/her
/etc/rc.conf file. appreciated. thx any help on any of these problems in
advance. forgive me for the to some trivial questions. i am new to NetBSD.
your help can make a big difference in my using NetBSD.
regards,

Fujie Zhang