Subject: Re: 1.3 installation: next problem
To: Frank van der Linden <frank@wins.uva.nl>
From: Bruce Walker <bmw@visgen.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/26/1998 20:40:44
Frank van der Linden writes:

> On Thu, Jan 22, 1998 at 04:52:20PM -0000, Koestler, Sonja (IT Man.) wrote:
> > Next problem. After the installation it should actually be able to boot
> > from the harddisk....it doesn't although all the installed stuff is
> > still there. Does anyone know why?
>
> The most likely problem is that you did not mark any partition as active
> if you edited the partition table. You can fix this by running
> 'fdisk -a wd0' (assuming that you were installing on an IDE drive).

Funny thing: I have the very same problem (system won't boot from
hard disk), and I checked: the NetBSD partition is marked Active.

My system is a 486DX4/100, 32M RAM, Vesa Local Bus Adaptec SCSI,
500M hard disk (and Sony SCSI CD, VLB ATI video).  I have re-run
the installation in different ways several times now.  Each time
I get a nicely installed system, all packages on the drive, but it
won't boot.  It simply freezes immediately after the normal BIOS
messages. I don't get the kernel version message or the booter
stuff; just blankness.

The installation is fine otherwise because I can boot it off the
floppy...

      boot sd0a:netbsd

and away she goes.  I've tried running disk afterward to reinstall
tye boot blocks, but no dice.

Did you get anywhere Sonja?

Thanks!

-bmw