Subject: RE: browsers for NetBSD (netscape?)
To: Tom Trebisky <tom@kofa.as.arizona.edu>
From: Nathan Gelbard <gelbard@ENGR.ORST.EDU>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/26/1998 10:08:57
> I was just curious what www browser folks like to run on NetBSD.
> I have been running Netscape 3.0 for over a year now (the BSDI version)
> and I don't really see anything newer.  Does anyone run one of the
> newer Netscape releases for Linux under the linux emulator (I never have
> quite gotten the emulator to work right, but maybe it would be worth
> another go, particularly if I get busy and install NetBSD-1.3).
> Any other browser recommendations??

I'm running NetBSD 1.3 on my i586 box. Netscape 4.04 standalone
has been great. I java works, and it almost never crashes.
I ~think~ Netscape 5.0 will be totally Java, and the src will
be free, so you can expect a NetBSD native browser in the
near future.

I used to run Netscape off our engr file server via X11 on my hp300
where the only semi-decent browser is Mosiac, and THAT leaves a lot
to be desired.

The Linux emulation has been great under 1.3 (using 2.0.30 dist libraries).
Just one little bug w/ JDK that I applied a cludge-fix for (thanx to whomever).
Can't get Quake II to work yet, but I wasnt expecting much.

        Nate