Subject: Re: printing
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Wolfgang Rupprecht <wolfgang@wsrcc.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/26/1998 09:32:43
gelbard@ENGR.ORST.EDU (Nathan Gelbard) writes:
> I'd like to be able to print to my lp0 HP 560C printer from NetBSD 1.3

I just borrowed an HP Deskjet 870cxi.  The documentation that comes
with it is the typical useless stuff that will describe how to wipe
off the plastic case with a soft damp cloth, but not much else.

Luckily ghostscript-5.10 comes with a pointer to grab hp850.zip via
http://bonk.ethz.ch .  These drivers will allow ghostscript to print
postscript files (including embedded color pictures) on the current
deskjet (5xx, 6xx, 8xx) line.

So far I've just been using the following command to print postscript
from stdin to the printer.

	gs -q -dNOPAUSE -sDEVICE=cdj850 -sOutputFile=/dev/lpa0 -

I'm sure you could put this into a shell script called "djif" and use
it as the input filter to lpr.

-wolfgang