Subject: Problems with driver for Znyx ZX346 Quad PCI Ethernet card
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Prashant Chandra <prashant@N3.SP.CS.CMU.EDU>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/21/1998 01:30:12
Hi! All,
  Please forgive me if this question has been asked before on the mailing
list.  I want to report a problem we are facing with the driver for the
Zynx ZX346 Quad PCI ethernet card.  When two of these cards are connected
back-to-back (in two Pentium PCs) the configuration seems to go haywire.
The cards come up complaining that autosense failed and if I use ifconfig
to set the media type to 100baseTX on both ends, I get connectivity but
I have problem with bidirectional traffic.  Ping seems to work fine, but
doing a TCP bandwidth test using ttcp fails because packets are being
dropped on the point-to-point link between the two cards.  (Fails means
the TCP bandwidth is only about 0.8 Mbps or so).  Another problem is that
I cannot get the link to operate at 10 Mbps.  Using 10baseT/UTP as the media
type, I can configure both ends of the link to 10 Mbps, but when I do a
UDP test (again using ttcp, but sending data in only one direction), I
see a send throughput of 93 Mbps (which is the same I see when the link is
configured to 100 Mbps on both ends).

I have repeated the exact same tests with Windows NT 4.0 and everything
seems to be fine.  Everything is also fine when one end of the link is a
Dec Alpha workstation with a 100 Mbps ethernet interface (not the same
quad board).  The problem only happens when two quad cards are connected
back to back in NetBSD PCs.

The version of NetBSD we are using is NetBSD 1.2D.  I have not tried this
test with NetBSD 1.3.  Please let me know if this problem has been
corrected in 1.3.  Please reply directly to prashant@cs.cmu.edu.

  Thank you.
    -prashant

PS:  The exact ifconfig command we use to bring up the interfaces as 100Mbps
is:
ifconfig de0 192.200.51.1 255.255.255.0 192.200.51.255 media 100baseTX up

R. Prashant Chandra
e-mail: prashant@cs.cmu.edu
Phone: 412-268-8019 (Office)
       412-681-3829 (Home)