Subject: Re: SB16 and Panasonic CR-563b cdrom
To: None <dkeith@devo.sfasu.edu>
From: Mike Long <mikel@shore.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/18/1998 13:48:02
>Date: Sat, 17 Jan 1998 22:15:14 -0600 (CST)
>From: David Keith <dkeith@devo.sfasu.edu>
>
>In NetBSD 1.3-i386 is there a way to configure in the panasonic cdrom off
>of the sb16 controller.  The cdrom isn't atapi (in my opinion) because I
>cannot just hang it off of an IDE controller and it will work.  In all my
>experiences it must hang off the sb16.  Nonetheless I want to see if I can
>add the device into the kernel.  It didn't seem to be found with the
>GENERIC configuration under /usr/src/sys/arch/i386/conf.  Is there an
>undocumented device or someway to configure cd0 or the mitsumi cdrom to
>detect mine?  The sb16 is not a PnP card, but rather the older one that
>must be set with jumpers.  The base io of the card is 0x220,
>irq5,ldma=1,hdma=5.  (If that helps anyone.)  Any thoughts?

Old SoundBlaster cards (SBPro, SB16 non-PnP) use a proprietary
Panasonic CDROM interface, which is incompatible with IDE and the
Mitsumi interface.  NetBSD lacks a driver for that interface, so
(unless you feel like writing one) there's no way to attach a CDROM to
that card.  There may be documentation for the Panasonic interface on
the web; all I know about it was that it used the ports (base+0x10)
through (base+0x13) on the SB, 0x230-0x233 for your card.
--
Mike Long <mikel@shore.net>                http://www.shore.net/~mikel