Subject: Re: doom
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Brett Lymn <blymn@baea.com.au>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/11/1998 13:37:41
According to Brad Salai:

>Now there is a Doom problem.
>
>law:Doom {249} sunosxdoom &
>[2] 20191
>law:Doom {250} Game mode indeterminate.
>                     Public DOOM - v1.10
>V_Init: allocate screens.
>M_LoadDefaults: Load system defaults.
>Z_Init: Init zone memory allocation daemon.
>W_Init: Init WADfiles.
>Error: W_InitFiles: no files found
>
>[2]    Exit -1                       sunosxdoom
>law:Doom {250}
>
>Anyone who has it working tell me what I need to do?

It appears that DooM cannot find a WAD file.  You should have a
doom.wad file in the same directory that you invoked the binary from
OR have the DOOMWADDIR environment variable set to point at a
directory that contains the WAD.  If you have neither then you need to
grab a copy of the shareware version of doom from somewhere (unless
you have bought a copy of the registered doom) and whack the doom.wad
from there into the appropriate place.  The PC versions of the WAD
file are just fine for this.

BTW the source for DooM is available now from their ftp server and is
mirrored around the place.  I have built a native version for i386
NetBSD and can supply patches to those interested.  There are some
endian issues involved in porting to big endian machines but it is
simply a matter of defining __BIG_ENDIAN__ to invoke some byte
swapping code.

  +++ Divide By Cucumber Error.  Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++
  - Hogfather, Terry Pratchett.