Subject: Re: file system size...
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Hubert Feyrer <hubert.feyrer@rz.uni-regensburg.de>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/07/1998 17:26:13
Brian Stark <bstark@siemens-psc.com> wrote:
> Upon installing 1.3 I noticed that sysinst decided to create a 276MB
> root partition on my Pentium system (128MB RAM). I assume it wants a large
> root file system in case it needs to create a system dump (under
> /var/crash...), but 276MB really seems like overkill. Is it really
> necessary to have a root partition of that size with the memory that my
> machine has?

Nope, unless you really *want* those dumps, of course. The program to
extract the crash dump while booting - savecore - will check if there's
a certain ammount free (written in /var/crash/minfree), and if so, will
write the crash dump. If you don't want a crash dump, rmdir /var/crash
alltogether.

> Also, when I told sysinst to create file systems that would allow room
> for X Windows, sysinst wanted to create a 513MB swap file. Does anyone
> really have a system with a swap file that large (w/ only 128MB of
> physical memory)??

Um, I don't have any system with that much RAM, but guessing, I'd say
around 300MB should be just fine.

> If anyone could explain to me how the size of these filesystems is
> calculated, I would appreciate it. Prior to installing 1.3, my 1.2.1
> system only had 64MB of swap, my root file system was only 40MB, I
> had lots of disk space for other applications, and I didn't have any
> problems with not having enough memory.

64MB swap with 128MB RAM? Hm, i haveb't tried this, but if it worked
for 1.2.1, it will probably also work for 1.3. Just give it a try.
It's advisable, though, to use 2-3 times your RAM as the size of your
swap partition, in case you need it.

 - Hubert

--
Hubert Feyrer <hubert.feyrer@rz.uni-regensburg.de>