Subject: file system size...
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Brian Stark <bstark@siemens-psc.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/06/1998 14:48:03
Hello,

Upon installing 1.3 I noticed that sysinst decided to create a 276MB
root partition on my Pentium system (128MB RAM). I assume it wants a large
root file system in case it needs to create a system dump (under
/var/crash...), but 276MB really seems like overkill. Is it really
necessary to have a root partition of that size with the memory that my
machine has?

Also, when I told sysinst to create file systems that would allow room
for X Windows, sysinst wanted to create a 513MB swap file. Does anyone
really have a system with a swap file that large (w/ only 128MB of
physical memory)??

If anyone could explain to me how the size of these filesystems is
calculated, I would appreciate it. Prior to installing 1.3, my 1.2.1
system only had 64MB of swap, my root file system was only 40MB, I
had lots of disk space for other applications, and I didn't have any
problems with not having enough memory.

Thanks,

Brian

| Brian Stark                       | Internet : bstark@siemens-psc.com |
| Siemens Energy & Automation, Inc. |          : bstark@empros.com      |
| Power Transmission & Distribution |                                   |
| 7225 Northland Drive              | Voice    : +1 612 536-4697        |
| Brooklyn Park, MN 55428   USA     | Fax      : +1 612 536-4919        |