Subject: Re: sendmail (crackish?) error message question...
To: None <codewarrior@daemon.org>
From: Stefan Brandle <Stefan.Brandle@wheaton.edu>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 12/16/1997 09:11:05
Not sure whether this helps, but then, maybe it will push a real guru into
giving us a definitive answer. :)

> >> this is what you get if you *telnet* to the smtp port.  you can also
> >> run sendmail in the same mode (eg, smtp) from the command line.

I did a little testing running mail (/usr/bin/Mail) to see what would show up
in my headers. The 'user@localhost' appears to always reflect whom is running
the mail program. That would point (as suggested) to cron or someone running as
root.

On a related topic, I always get the 'root@sending.host' entered by the next
machine, regardless of the account of origin. (If I turn off identd, then I
get 'sending.host', but don't have the 'root@' part.)

        by wheaton.wheaton.edu (8.8.8/8.8.8) with ESMTP id IAA18481
        for <stefan.brandle@wheaton.edu>; Tue, 16 Dec 1997 08:39:12 -0600 (CST)
        by zipporah.wheaton.edu (8.8.8/8.8.8) id IAA25560
        for stefan.brandle@wheaton.edu; Tue, 16 Dec 1997 08:33:40 -0600 (CST)

You're not running pine setuid, are you?

Just my inflation-indexed $0.02.

-sb
Stefan Brandle  |  (630) 752-5201  |  stefan@wheaton.edu  |  Wheaton College IL