Subject: Re: Installing from FreeBSD?
To: Derrick Baumer <bduk@wave.net>
From: Zdenek Salvet <salvet@horn.ics.muni.cz>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 12/11/1997 11:31:46
> I am interested in installing NetBSD on my system.  I do not want to
> purchase a CD at this time, would prefer to wait for the 1.3 release.
> I'm trying to figure out how to get it installed, though.  I can
> download the distribution files via FTP - no problem.  But the
> installation instructions don't indicate that you can install from a
> local drive partition.  I'm not on a network, so I can't use NFS
> install.  I don't have the CD, my tape drive (a QIC-80 compatible) is
> not supported, and I really don't feel like making all those floppies.
> And I don't know the IP address of any site that has the distribution
> available for FTP install.  I am currently running FreeBSD and would
> LIKE to put the files on a partition at the end of my drive, then
> delete all the other partitions, create partitions for NetBSD at the
> beginning of the drive, then install from the partition where the
> files are.
>
> Is this possible?  Couldn't I just mount the partition...?  For
> obvious reasons, I don't want to try it unless I'm told it can be
> done.  If it's not possible, could someone tell me what my options
> are?  Thanks in advance for any help.

Write down the size&offset of the partition from FreeBSD disklabel,
mark the FreeBSD partition with some other type id than 165 (0xA5) with pfdisk,
install the floppy part, add the partition to NetBSD disklabel (disklabel -e)
and then you can mount it.

--
Zdenek Salvet                                              salvet@ics.muni.cz
           If God had meant for us to be in the Army,