Subject: Installing from FreeBSD?
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Derrick Baumer <bduk@wave.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 12/08/1997 03:23:23
I am interested in installing NetBSD on my system.  I do not want to
purchase a CD at this time, would prefer to wait for the 1.3 release.
I'm trying to figure out how to get it installed, though.  I can
download the distribution files via FTP - no problem.  But the
installation instructions don't indicate that you can install from a
local drive partition.  I'm not on a network, so I can't use NFS
install.  I don't have the CD, my tape drive (a QIC-80 compatible) is
not supported, and I really don't feel like making all those floppies.
And I don't know the IP address of any site that has the distribution
available for FTP install.  I am currently running FreeBSD and would
LIKE to put the files on a partition at the end of my drive, then
delete all the other partitions, create partitions for NetBSD at the
beginning of the drive, then install from the partition where the
files are.

Is this possible?  Couldn't I just mount the partition...?  For
obvious reasons, I don't want to try it unless I'm told it can be
done.  If it's not possible, could someone tell me what my options
are?  Thanks in advance for any help.