Subject: Re: Configuring sendmail for 3 local machines
To: None <daemond@ibm.net>
From: Tim Rightnour <root@garbled.futureone.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 12/02/1997 18:51:28
On 02-Dec-97 daemond@ibm.net spoke unto us all:
# On Fri, 28 Nov 1997, Tim Rightnour wrote:
# [snip]
# > Each machine fails to deliver mail with:
  [meta snip]
# > It looks to me like its actually trying to use the destination host as the
# name
# > server.. why the heck would it do something silly like that??
# [snip]
#
# Just a thought: are you trying to use one of the machines as your default
# gateway?  Check your routing setup (netstat -r).
#

For all intents and purposes, we can ignore one machine (it shares the problem
verbatim with the other one.)

a) garbled  has a ether addr, and a ppp addr (ppp sets up defaultroute)  this
machine uses O I to queue mail when offline.  Will not send anymail unless
connected via ppp to the net.  This is (i believe) correct behavior for this
machine.  It will deliver to other box when online, but not when offline.

b) red: has ether addr.  No default route...  tried setting one up to garbled
with no dice on the sendmail thing..  no resolv.conf (which according to manpage
defaults to /etc/hosts) and hosts file has everyone on the local net listed...

I'm lost..

---
Tim Rightnour    -  root@garbled.futureone.com
http://www.zynetwc.com/~garbled/garbled.html